New study finds consumers prefer optingin to mobile ads
|Richard Harris in Monetize Wednesday, January 18, 2017|
Nielsen Media Labs study commissioned by Jun Group finds opt-in mobile advertising preferred nearly 2-1 over other formats; Nielsen Digital Brand Effect study shows opt-in mobile advertising delivers a significant lift in brand awareness and purchase intent.
Findings from a new Nielsen Media Labs study commissioned by Jun Group found that consumers prefer opt-in mobile advertising (aka “value exchange,” “incentivized advertising,” and “rewarded video”) over traditional digital ads like pre-roll and display by a near 2-1 margin (54 percent versus 29 percent). With value exchange placements, people opt-in to unlock entertainment, points, or other digital content.
The study found that consumers who were exposed to value exchange units were more likely to enjoy their overall ad experience (74 percent), beating out pre-roll and native formats. Additionally, opt-in units are naturally inoculated from ad blockers.
“This study highlights a fundamental change in the advertising industry. Value exchange is improving mobile advertising by focusing on the customer,” said Mitchell Reichgut, CEO of Jun Group. “Advertising has traditionally been interruptive and that doesn’t work well on smartphones. This is quickly changing. Mobile gives audiences more control than ever and the industry needs to adjust quickly.”
Highlights from a separate Nielsen Brand Effect study commissioned by Jun Group showed that the value exchange ad unit tested outperformed Nielsen Digital Brand Effect Mobile benchmarks for both brand awareness and purchase intent.
Audio commentary from
Mishel Alon, Head of
Product at Jun Group
Two key study findings:
- Value exchange ad units delivered a 34.4 percent lift in awareness, more than 3.5x the Nielsen Digital Brand Effect Mobile benchmark.
- Value exchange ad units drove a 26.4 percent increase in purchase intent, surpassing the Nielsen Digital Brand Effect Mobile benchmark by nearly 5x.
Value exchange advertising is used by leading publishers including Google, Pandora, Twitter, Fox, Kik, and Spotify. And value exchange ad units are now available programmatically and are easier than ever to purchase.
Additionally, Jun Group commissioned Nielsen to conduct an industry insights focus group which discovered that despite the performance of value exchange units, there is a general lack of awareness of them. In spite of this finding, 75 percent of media planners/buyers said they were very likely to recommend the unit when asked.
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more