Oculus Connect 6 announcements
|Richard Harris in Augmented Reality Thursday, September 26, 2019|
Oculus Connect 6 revealed many announcements including Facebook Horizon, including that people have spent $100M USD on the Oculus Store and 20% of that is from Quest alone.
Oculus Connect 6 unveiled Facebook Horizon, an interconnected and ever-expanding social VR world where people can explore new places, play games, and build communities - launching in beta in 2020. They announced hand tracking on Oculus Quest, which will enable natural interaction in VR using your own hands, all without the need for a controller, external sensors, gloves, or a PC to power it - releasing as an experimental feature for Quest owners in early 2020. Lastly, they announced that people have spent $100M USD on the Oculus Store and 20% of that is from Quest alone, a testament to the health of the ecosystem, as well as the passion and commitment of the developers and content creators designing and building for VR today.
Other announcements made at OC6 for our family of products, include:
- Oculus Link: A new way for people who own Quest and a gaming PC to access content from the Rift Platform. The software will launch in beta this November and it will work with most high-quality USB-C cables. Later this year, they’ll release a premium cable to provide a best-in-class experience with maximum throughput to run Rift content and enough length so you can move easily in VR.
- Oculus Go apps on Quest: Beginning September 26, Oculus Quest owners can access a variety of popular Oculus Go apps on Quest.
- Oculus TV update + Introducing Media Studio:
- Oculus TV - A central hub where you can discover and watch media on both Oculus Quest and Oculus Go. Update launching later this fall.
- Media Studio - A new media management tool that lets creators upload and publish immersive content directly to VR. Launching at OC6.
- Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond: Oculus Studios and Respawn Entertainment introduce Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond which brings the historic battlefields of World War II back to the forefront for an epic AAA VR gaming experience like no other. Launching 2020.
- Vader Immortal II: In Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series Episode II players return to Mustafar to learn the ways of the Force, including new powers and lightsaber skills. Launching at OC6.
- Stormland + Asgard’s Wrath: Pre-orders for two highly-anticipated Oculus Studios titles open at OC6. Asgard’s Wrath, from Sanzaru Games, launches October 10. Stormland, from Insomniac Games launches November 14.
- Beat Saber Panic!: Beat Saber 360 is launching in December and Panic! At The Disco Music Pack is available next week.
- Introducing LiveMaps: Our vision for a virtual overlay that will let you anchor virtual content in the real world and enable other AR experiences.
- Half Dome Prototype updates: The next iteration of our FRL VR prototype that’s more comfortable, compact, and geared for productivity, Half Dome 2.
- Full-Body Codec Avatars: Building on our research on Codec Avatars—incredibly lifelike digital representations of the heads of real people—we’re showing off our research around full body avatars for more lifelike and meaningful interactions.
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more