Top programming languages of 2023
Friday, August 18, 2023
With generative AI, machine learning, and big data processing taking the world by storm, a number of associated languages and tools have gained in popularity this year. CircleCI has revealed the top programming languages for 2023.
- TypeScript continues to be the most-used programming language among software delivery teams on CircleCI.
- Other languages and tools commonly used for ML and data analysis that saw significant growth over the past year include Jupyter Notebook (up three places to #13), C# (up three places to #14), Rust (up four places to #20), and Shell (up two places to #10).
State of Software Delivery Report from CircleCI reveals top programming languages in 2023, with TypeScript landing first
Today’s software teams are adopting languages that support rapid, efficient development in today’s hottest application types, from enterprise systems and ML algorithms to cross-platform mobile applications and games. At the same time, they are gravitating toward languages that combine speed and performance with stability, security, and scalability.
"This year’s results tell an interesting story about the priorities of modern software delivery organizations. Teams are adopting languages that support rapid, efficient development across application types, from enterprise systems and machine learning algorithms to cross-platform mobile applications and games. At the same time, they are gravitating toward languages that combine speed and performance with stability, security, and scalability.
These insights harmonize nicely with the findings in this year’s State of Software Delivery report that teams are recovering from errors faster than ever before. The average CircleCI user gets their pipelines back to green in just over 64 minutes, a 10 minute improvement over previous years and very nearly equal to our elite performance benchmark of 60 minutes. Across the board, CircleCI users are building tech stacks that achieve an impressive balance of velocity and stability.
To learn more about the intersection of language usage and team performance, and how you can take advantage of today’s best technologies to build an elite software delivery practice, download the 2023 State of Software Delivery," said Jacob Schmidt from CircleCI about the DevOps language trends in 2023, and the top tools used by elite software delivery teams.
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more