Huawei Developer Conference highlights
|Richard Harris in Events Tuesday, November 2, 2021|
Huawei Developer Conference highlights include the latest HarmonyOS and HMS Core 6 updates, the latest Petal Search and Petal Maps updates, an update on the progress of Huawei's hardware and software ecosystem with AI at the core, and you can recap the video sessions on the Huawei website.
The annual Huawei Developer Conference 2021 (HDC 2021) recently returned, kicking off an eventful weekend filled with highly anticipated hardware and software launches, keynotes, and tech sessions.
The conference began with a bang, as five Huawei speakers affirmed their goal to forge a smart, safe and flourishing ecosystem alongside its partners in the opening keynote, 'On Track to Map the Future'. The keynote highlighted Huawei's commitment to collaborating with developers to create an all-connected digital world rife with innovation, driven by the latest HarmonyOS and HMS Core 6 capabilities, as well as AI technology.
Laying the Foundations for a Truly Connected Digital Future with HarmonyOS and HMS Core 6
HDC 2021 featured the exclusive developer preview of HarmonyOS 3 expected to go live in January 2022 as well as an overview of cutting-edge tools designed for developers which provide efficient, user-oriented, and seamless services across a range of devices.
Also announced at the conference was the news that the HMS ecosystem has now reached 5.1 million developers globally and is only continuing to expand. Currently, more than 173,000 apps have been integrated with HMS Core. AppGallery has also distributed a whopping 332.2 billion apps since January 2021, marking an incredible milestone for both the app marketplace and developers.
HMS Core 6 offers developers access to industry-leading tools to construct intelligent, user-centric apps, incorporating 69 Kits and more than 21,000 APIs from 7 domains, including 13 kits that enable cross-OS capabilities. With HMS Core's SignPal Kit, which converts text into natural sign language with an accuracy of 90%+, the event was streamed live with sign language interpretation, displaying how these advanced capabilities build an inclusive environment where all users and partners can thrive.
Dedicated 'Tech. Sessions' bring Industry Insights to Developers
Beyond dropping the latest Petal Search and Petal Maps updates, HDC hosted dedicated tech sessions that unveiled fresh AppGallery initiatives to offer end-to-end support to its developer partners, as well as opportunities to boost their app growth.
Notably, the session on financial services shed insights on trends that are shaking up the sector right now, and how developers can leverage HMS Core's potential in a fast-changing industry. Together with known futurist Brett King, Siri Borsum, Global VP, Finance Vertical, Eco-development & Partnerships at Huawei Consumer Business Group discussed the importance of constant innovation and fostering partnerships to bring easily accessible financial services to every person, home, and organization.
The potential of Open Banking to spur inclusion was also explored, with Siri sharing the success stories of AppGallery's partners Noffe and Bluecode, who are leveraging Huawei's full-spectrum support to create value for users.
Huawei Developer Conference highlights
Huawei also gave updates on the user safety front, assuring developers of the company's dedication to safeguarding consumer privacy in an era where privacy concerns have become increasingly important to users.
Alexandre Salem, Global Director, Global Gaming Vertical BD, Global Partnerships & Eco-Development Business Department, Huawei Consumer BG, spoke at the gaming session, discussing key trends shaping the growing gaming industry. Alex commented on the diversification of gamers, the fact that gaming conception and production happens increasingly cross-platform, and the rise of the metaverse. He emphasized how Huawei does not adopt a one-size-fits-all philosophy in its collaborations, as tailor-made strategies are developed for partners to maximize their reach in the increasingly lucrative gaming market, with mobile gaming being a forerunner in the industry.
Also highlighted at the session were examples of how AppGallery partners have used Huawei's capabilities to take their games to the next level. In tandem with AppGallery, leading mobile game developer Gameloft launched over 11 games, giving consumers a console-like gaming experience, and saw a 70% increase in downloads in the first three months post-launch.
Playrix, the developer behind the ever-popular Gardenscapes and Homescapes, recorded strong download performances and a slew of successful launches upon partnering with AppGallery, thanks to the app marketplace's comprehensive end-to-end support, including implementation of HMS Core Kits and promotions through HUAWEI Ads.
HDC 2021 showcased Huawei's progress on its ambitious journey to build a hardware and software ecosystem with HarmonyOS, HMS, and AI at its core, working with its partners to bring ground-breaking new tech and capabilities to consumers worldwide.
For those who missed the wealth of content presented over three thrilling days, the official Huawei Developer Conference 2021 website has got you covered. With streams to recap each session at your own pace and time, don't sweat about missing out!
Summary of Agenda - Relive the best bits of HDC 2021
Keynote | On Track to Map the Future
• Richard Yu, Executive Director, CEO of the Consumer Business Group, CEO of Intelligent Automotive Solution BU, Huawei
• David Wang, President of the AI and All-scenario Intelligence Business Unit, Huawei Consumer Business Group
• Zhang Ping’an, Executive Vice President, President of Huawei Consumer Cloud Service, CEO of Huawei Cloud BU
• Tim Gong, President of the Software Dept, Huawei Consumer Business Group
• Kevin Ho, COO of Huawei Consumer Business Group, President of the Handset Business, Huawei Consumer Business Group
Gaming Tech. Session | AppGallery: find your next big win
• Alexandre Salem, Global Director, Global Gaming Vertical BD, Global Partnerships & Eco-Development Business Dept, Huawei
AppGallery Tech. Session
• Stephane Fournis, Senior Operations Manager, Huawei
• Victor Zhu, Overseas Operations Director, GameCenter, Huawei
• Zachary Powell, Lead Developer Advocate, AppGallery Connect, Huawei
Finance Tech. Session | AppGallery: why we're focusing on innovation and Open Banking
• Siri Borsum, Global VP, Financial Vertical, Global Partnerships & Eco-Development Business Dept, Huawei
Petal Maps Tech. Session
• Dr. Jaime Gonzalo, Vice President, Mobile Services, Huawei Europe
• Adela Sadowska, Content Operation Manager, Mobile Services, Huawei Europe
• Julia Markiewicz, Marketing Manager, Mobile Services, Huawei Europe
Petal Search Tech. Session
• Fernando Garcia Calvo, Deputy Director of Petal Search Europe, Consumer Cloud Service Dept, Huawei
• Peter van Hees, Principal Product Manager of Petal Search Europe, Consumer Cloud Service Dept, Huawei
• Maria Jaquotot, Senior Partnerships Manager of Petal Search Europe, Consumer Cloud Service Dept, Huawei
• Raghu T S, Principal Product Manager of Petal Search APAC, Consumer Cloud Service Dept, Huawei
HMS Core 6.0 Tech. Session
• Jacob Dawick, Developer Advocate, Huawei
• Ian Valentine, Business Consulting, Strategy and Product Expert, Huawei
Ian Valentine, Business Consulting, Strategy and Product Expert, Huawei
4. Creating a thriving business with the global In-App Purchases network
Julian Xuan, In-App Purchases Product Manager, Consumer Service Dept, Huawei
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more