Game Developers See Added Performance with Wwise Audio Engine Updates
Tuesday, September 1, 2015
Recently Audiokinetic released the latest version of its Wwise audio engine for interactive audio content used by the interactive media and gaming industries. It features an optimized run-time sound engine and an audio authoring application for creating and managing game audio content.
This latest version, Wwise 2015.1, focuses on runtime performance optimizations and authoring workflow improvements including the integration with Steinberg’s Nuendo 7 to expand the audio production workflow. Wwise offers integration into major game engines including Unity, Unreal 3, Unreal 4, CryEngine, plus Marmalade and platforms including Android, iOS, Linux, Mac, Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation, PlayStation, PlayStation Vita, Windows, Windows Phone, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii, and Wii U.
New features and enhancements to Wwise 2015.1 include:
- Integration with Steinberg Nuendo 7
- Multiple customizable platforms per target SDK
- New event actions: “Post Event” and “Reset Playlist”
- Background User Music management
- SoundFrame additions
- More flexibility in Conversion Settings
- Streaming optimizations via the pin to cache functionality
- CPU optimizations for RTPC
- Significant Vorbis CPU performance improvement on most platforms
Wwise Authoring Workflow Improvements
- Events and target objects are now viewable in the Advanced Profiler
- RTPC Tab: Watched game objects now display cursors in the RTPC graph view
- Incremental SoundBank generation for faster build times
- Content filtering in certain views
- Batch renaming capabilities
Pricing starts at $750 USD and is tiered by the total production budget of a project. For indie games containing a maximum of 200 media assets, Wwise is free.
Read more: https://www.audiokinetic.com/products/wwise/
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more