FileMaker 18 low code custom app making platform arrives
|Richard Harris in Low Code No Code Thursday, May 30, 2019|
FileMaker 18 brings all new security, UI, and scripting enhancements in the latest iteration of its flagship low code custom app making platform, used by more than 50 thousand companies.
The FileMaker 18 low-code platform is here from FileMaker Inc (Apple subsidiary) and features a range of enhancements, from an improved user interface to a larger offering of security controls.
FileMaker reports that more than 50 thousand companies use the FileMaker Platform to create custom apps to solve their unique challenges and drive growth. While custom apps built on the FileMaker Platform can be deployed on any device, the new release aims to make development and integration more seamless and powerful.
“The newest version of the FileMaker Platform helps you tackle your biggest challenges at work,” said Ann Monroe, VP of worldwide marketing and customer success at FileMaker, Inc. “Building on our proven platform by adding new security, UI, and scripting enhancements, we empower problem solvers in any role to use the FileMaker Workplace Innovation Platform, and tap into our ecosystem of development partners, templates, training offerings, and events, to bring their ideas to life.”
New FileMaker 18 features include:
- New user interface for importing data - More easily map imported source data to FileMaker fields using the new Import Field Mapping dialog box. Use type ahead instead of drag and drop for greater efficiency. And specify custom delimiters when importing certain file types.
- File-based script steps - Create scripts that read, write, and manage external data files to write log files or export data in a custom format. Replaces the need for many file-based plug-ins.
- New managed security access - This new privilege set allows developers to offload account access management to other team members without needing to provide full access to any other parts of the file.
- Manage Security dialog box - The streamlined Manage Security dialog box allows you to be more efficient in managing access to your custom apps.
- Startup restoration - FileMaker files are now automatically recoverable after a hardware or software crash. The restoration log in FileMaker Server validates database entries when a file is first opened, before client access, and if the file had not been properly closed.
- Platform parity - The FileMaker Cloud for AWS 1.18 code base supports all of the new features in the FileMaker 18 Platform.