Will App Developers Have a New Monetization Opportunity with Microsoft’s Launch of a Unified Windows Store Gift Card
Thursday, November 14, 2013
The Windows Store gift cards can be purchased from the Windows Store or Windows Phone Store. Microsoft is also pushing retailers to market the gift cards in holiday sales promotions. And promotional gift cards will be included in Windows device promotions. In all, Microsoft is saying gift cards will be available in at least 41 markets and more than 100 retail outlets in those markets.
Microsoft has publicized that it expects more than $100 million dollars (USD) to be available in some form of Microsoft account for app and in-app purchases. The company has launched consumer programs to create awareness and drive sales for the cards; it will be interesting to see how effective the promotion will be.
Added to the potential financial pot are Xbox gift cards and existing funds in Xbox accounts which, under the unified Windows Store purchasing program, are also redeemable to purchase things like apps and games for Windows 8.1, Windows Phone 8, and Xbox.
Will the money trickle down to developers? We’ll find out after the holiday season.
Read more: http://blogs.windows.com
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more