Anura, fraud protection software from eZanga that identifies bots and human fraud, has announced that more than 1,300 apps in the Google Play store contain code that activates Android phones in "sleep mode" for the purpose of engaging with mobile advertisements unbeknownst to their owners.
After detecting click attempts made from a variety of Google Play Store apps, the Anura team isolated two - Lovely Rose and Oriental Beauty - and installed them on Android-powered mobile devices to monitor for suspicious behavior for 24 hours. During this time frame, the devices' click logs showed 3,061 ad requests made by these apps to ad networks
that work with household brands such as SnapChat and Wendy's.
From a brand perspective, these apps could potentially:
- Cost brands anywhere between $2,000,000 and $10,000,000 a day, equating to millions lost per month on bots, versus actual human traffic
- Run very few clicks at a time, bypassing most ad fraud filters
and putting brand safety in jeopardy
- Generate "human profiles," which then causes additional ad spend loss through retargeting
- From a consumer's perspective, these apps could potentially:
- Drain a phone's battery life
- Could result in data overages, depending on your mobile plan and provider
- Invite malware onto devices, which puts legitimate applications, like those that have one's financial information, at risk
- Cause the consumer to be retargeted with products and services that aren't of interest to them
"Anura's findings are critical in understanding how fraudulent activity affects consumers and advertisers," said Rich Kahn, CEO of eZanga. "Fraud is like the flu. Every year, it evolves, forming new strains for which we have to create vaccines. Similarly, fraudsters constantly create ways to manipulate systems, and it's imperative that all parties involved are aware of what is happening and how to prevent it."Read more: https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/2215919/Longform_Co...
Are you paying more taxes than you have to as a developer or freelancer? The IRS is certainly not going to tell you about a deduction you failed to take, and your accountant is not likely to take the time to ask you about every deduction you’re entitled to. As former IRS Commissioner Mark Everson admitted, “If you don’t claim it, you don’t get it.
Get hands-on experience in performing simple to complex mobile forensics techniques Retrieve and analyze data stored not only on mobile devices but also through the cloud and other connected mediums A practical guide to leveraging the power of mobile forensics on popular mobile platforms with lots of tips, tricks, and caveats.
Write and run code every step of the way, using Android Studio to create apps that integrate with other apps, download and display pictures from the web, play sounds, and more. Each chapter and app has been designed and tested to provide the knowledge and experience you need to get started in Android development.