Ionic ngCordova Open source AngularJS Services and Extensions for HTML5 Apps
|Richard Harris in HTML5 Thursday, June 12, 2014|
Ionic offers a free and open source library of mobile-optimized HTML, CSS and JS components for building HTML5 apps. Ionic has recently announced ngCordova, an open-source collection of AngularJS services and extensions that allow the use of Cordova plugins and native features in hybrid apps.
With ngCordova, instead of calling Cordova plugins directly and having to figure out the proper object or plugin name, or to check if the plugin is actually installed, developers can just call a simple AngularJS service. The services support promises to make it easier to deal with their asynchronous nature and ensure scope data is properly updated. And with current support for 14 plugins, ngCordova provides a centralized way to add native functionality to an app.
In beta, future plans for ngCordova include the ability to mock the services for testing outside of a Cordova app in case Cordova.js isn't available, and to simulate data such as geolocation, accelerometer, and network changes.
For more information visit the Ionic website.
Read more: http://ionicframework.com/docs/overview/#angularjs
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more