The app store is not a monopoly says Apple employees in new survey
|Richard Harris in Apps Thursday, May 30, 2019|
A new survey from Blind concludes that most Apple employees do not believe the Apple app store is a monopoly.
Blind is an anonymous social network with thousands of verified employees engaging in discussions about work-related issues and industry trends.
Their weekly surveys gather real-time insight into employee sentiment on trending issues, with results broken down by company.
The most recent survey asked Is Apple creating a monopoly by only allowing consumers to purchase apps from their App Store? They could answer with three options: “Yes,” “No,” and “I don’t know”. The Survey ran from May 14 - May 20 and was answered by 10,040 users of the Blind app. Users could only answer once.
- Apple employees had the lowest number of people who believed Apple’s app store is a monopoly with 15.14% answering ‘yes’, 74.93% answering ‘no’ and 9.92% answering ‘I don’t know’. Apple has recently launched a new website ahead of its annual WWDC to further drive this point home as well.
"All developers have the opportunity to have a rejection reviewed by the App Review Board. And the App Review team makes about 1,000 calls a week to developers to help them diagnose and resolve any issues that led to rejection — so they can get their app onto the App Store,” Apple said on its website.
- Qualcomm had the highest number of employees who believe Apple is a monopoly, with 84.75% answering ‘yes’, 5.08% answering ‘no’ and 10.17% answering ‘I don’t know’.
- Spotify and eBay made the top 3 companies with employees who believe that Apple is a monopoly.
- For the overall tech employees, 44.12% answered ‘Yes’, Apple’s app store is a monopoly, 40.69% answered with ‘No’ and 15.19% answered with ‘I don’t know’.
- When we broke down the results by device, 37.95% of Iphone users answered ‘yes’ and 52.22% of Android users answered “yes”.
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more