Open Source security comes to GitHub
Thursday, August 16, 2018
Open Source security platform software, Sonatype DepShield, provides security governance that the DevSecOps community says it requires.
Sonatype announced Sonatype DepShield, a new GitHub application that enables developers to experience basic open source security governance, free of charge. Powered by Sonatype’s OSS Index, DepShield integrates directly into GitHub repositories and allows developers to easily identify and avoid using open source components with known vulnerabilities.
“The need for more secure coding practices has never been greater,” said Wayne Jackson, CEO of Sonatype. “Developers live, eat, and breathe in GitHub. While developers find value in GitHub’s native dependency graph, they need and are demanding, more self-help security. With DepShield, we’re enabling 28 million developers to add an initial layer of defense, to not only help protect their software projects but the millions of enterprises, organizations, and individuals who will use their code down the road.”
Sonatype DepShield features include:
- Continuously monitors projects and auto-creates issues for security vulnerabilities
- Ability to view a list of known security vulnerabilities within GitHub’s Issue Tracker and click on an issue to view vulnerability details including CVE and CVSS
- Determine vulnerable version ranges on each given vulnerability
- Available for free, serving both private and public GitHub repositories
Sonatype’s 2018 DevSecOps Community survey revealed just how important open source governance is, with 1 in 3 organizations noting they suspected or verified breaches due to OSS vulnerabilities - a 55 percent increase since 2017. The need to empower developers is further underscored by the IDC FutureScape: Worldwide Developers & DevOps 2018 Predictions in which analysts note that “development without integrated security compliance will fail. Security-led development will be a priority for 90% of orgs by 2020.” In the wake of the Equifax breach, as more companies prioritize enterprise-wide open source governance, empowering developers with real-time component intelligence is imperative.
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more