Making Sure the Facebook SDK Works with iOS 9
|Richard Harris in Marketing & Promotion Wednesday, September 16, 2015|
Developers whose apps built using the Facebook SDK for iOS will need to update to the final version, v4.6 and v3.24, of the SDK. Specifically apps that use Facebook Login, App Events , Analytics for Apps, Sharing across Facebook and Messenger, App Invites, App Links, or Native Like should be updated.
The new SDKs include the following:
- Compatibility with Xcode 7 and iOS 9
- Support for App Thinning by including bitcode. If bitcode was previously disabled, it can now be enabled with the new SDK
- Logic that automatically defaults people to the optimum experience for iOS 9. This means that the SDK dialogs for Facebook Login, Sharing across Facebook and Messenger, App Invites, App Events, or Native Like will automatically determine the best experience for people based on their device.
A recent blog post by Facebook instructs the following process to preserve app functionality and help ensure the best possible experience for people who use an iOS 9 app:
1- Download the new SDK for iOS: v4.6 or v3.24
2 - The iOS 9 rollout introduces a new feature called App Transport Security (ATS) which will require you to whitelist Facebook domains in your app's plist. If you don't do this, you will see security errors in the log when your app tries to call the Facebook API or show Login, Share, and other user experiences. Please follow the instructions in the upgrade guide.
3 - Update your app's plist to handle the changes to canOpenURL so that your app can open dialogs in the Facebook app (for Login, share, invite friends, or native Likes).
Facebook has updated its guide to include information about Upgrading to iOS 9. Refer to the link below to get the full details.
Read more: https://developers.facebook.com/blog/
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more