Intel INDE Lets You Develop iOS Apps in Android Studio
|Richard Harris in iOS Tuesday, August 4, 2015|
According to Intel, its new Multi-OS Engine feature of the Intel INDE development platform provides the ability for developers to create native mobile applications for iOS and Android with only Java expertise on Windows and/or OS X development machines.
INDE is Intel’s cross platform productivity suite for developing native mobile applications. INDE consists of a number of features including SDKs, performance libraries and development tools like compilers, debuggers and analyzers.
The New Multi-OS Engine is available as a stand-alone plug-in that can be integrated into Android Studio. App projects can be started as Android projects in Android Studio and the Multi-OS Engine configures the project to build and run as an iOS App on the iOS simulator that can be invoked from Android Studio.
Here is how the Multi-OS Engine development workflow works in Android Studio:
- Create an Android Project in Android Studio, include configuration for iOS app, and add the new configuration “Intel MOE iOS Application”.
- Design UI for iOS in XCode or MOE’s UI designer in Android Studio.
- Bind UI to Java using the NatJ runtime libraries.
- Android Studio is equipped with the Intellisense capabilities to bind the action handlers to the UI elements for iOS.
- Local build is supported on OS X development machines where iOS Simulators can be invoked. For Windows development systems, remote/cloud build is supported.
- iOS applications then can be run on the Simulator which is integrated into Android Studio by MOE configuration or directly on the device itself through USB debugging.
- Launch the app in App Store in iOS or Google Play Store for Android devices.
Reiterate the process aiming to reuse as much code as possible between these two apps.
Read more: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-inde
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more