Intel Curie Module Taps into the Wearable Device Gold Rush
|Richard Harris in Mobile Tech Thursday, January 15, 2015|
At CES Intel introduced its Curie module, the first platform of its kind from Intel offering a complete low-power solution designed for companies interested in developing wearable technology solutions.
The Curie module offers big features into its tiny size and is designed for "always-on" applications such as social media, sports, and fitness activities. Intel is promoting the module as an efficient and intelligent wearable solutions for a broad range of form factors - including rings, bags, bracelets, pendants, fitness trackers, and more.
At its core is Intel’s first wearable purpose-built system-on-chip (SoC) - the Intel Quark SE SoC - which can run for extended periods from a coin-sized battery and features motion sensor, Bluetooth radio, and battery charging capabilities.
Intel is providing developers with a Curie software solution that includes a real-time operating system (RTOS) together with reference wearable applications called Intel IQ Software kits. These kits include the embedded software that runs on the module together with companion smartphone applications and associated cloud capabilities.
The Curie module features include:
- A low-power, 32-bit Intel® Quark™ SE SoC
- 384kB Flash memory, 80kB SRAM
- A low-power integrated DSP sensor hub with a proprietary pattern matching accelerator
- Bluetooth Low Energy
- 6-axis combo sensor with accelerometer and gyroscope
- Battery charging circuitry (PMIC)
The Curie module is scheduled to ship in the second half of 2015. More information is available on the Intel site.
Read more: https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wearab...
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more