IFTTT partners with Weather Underground so you can control things from Weather data
|Richard Harris in IoT Monday, December 12, 2016|
IFTTT (If this then that), a platform that allows services of all kinds to work together, has recently announced a collaboration with Weather Underground, one of the largest IoT networks in the world, to power IFTTT’s new and improved weather service.
The collaboration allows users to leverage weather data to make decisions using IFTTT applets, formerly known as recipes.
The Weather Underground service on IFTTT will leverage information such as current weather conditions, three-day forecasts, United States’ pollen data and hyperlocal weather data from local weather stations.
Here's what the new applets includes:
- If the outdoor temperature is below 40 degrees, get a mobile notification reminding you to bundle up
- Always be prepared for the weather by getting mobile and email notifications
- Receive a notification if there is a high pollen count in your area
- Start my WeMo coffeemaker at sunrise
- If on vacation, turn indoor or outdoor lights on at sunset and off at sunrise:
- Turn on the lights at sunset with your WeMo Light Switch
- Have your Hue lights turn on automatically at sunset
- Turn off the lights at sunrise with your WeMo Light Switch
- Have your Hue lights turn off automatically at sunrise
“Weather Underground has been at the forefront of the IoT movement since 2001, and by working with IFTTT we’re able to add value and deeper insight into our interconnected world – whether you’re planning a road trip for the holidays, preparing your home for winter, or simply streamlining your daily routine,” said Mike Finnerty, senior vice president of global strategy and development at The Weather Company, an IBM Business.
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more