GraphQL platform Hasura launches new innovations
Monday, January 3, 2022
The GraphQL platform Hasura announced new innovations including bi-directional REST API Connectors, the Hasura Data Hub, Identity-Specific Authorization, Google Cloud Support, and more. The innovations will help organizations become more efficient, effective, and make web app development faster.
Hasura has announced a new Data Hub, bi-directional REST API Connectors, and support for Google Cloud, further reducing the time needed to ship software and providing easy onramps to GraphQL for organizations of all types. These innovations build atop existing industry-first capabilities including full-stack application previews and cross-database joins to enable companies to make more efficient, effective, and impactful use of their data and services. Hasura has been downloaded more than 400 million times since its introduction in 2018.
GraphQL platform Hasura
"As different database types have proliferated within the enterprise, the need to abstract some of the underlying data services to improve developer velocity has intensified, and this is why interest in GraphQL is spiking. But GraphQL can be complicated and, as a result, platforms that simplify its implementation are seeing surges in demand. This is the opportunity that Hasura is aimed at," said Stephen O'Grady, Principal Analyst with RedMonk.
Hasura is designed to make web application development faster than ever before by eliminating bottlenecks to data access for frontend and full-stack developers. The platform cuts down the time and niche expertise required to build GraphQL APIs for data access by automating the repetitive work involved in mapping models to APIs with common access patterns like pagination, filtering, joining, setting up authorization rules, and optimizing performance. With operational data increasingly distributed among multiple sources and developers consuming data in insecure and unauthorized compute environments, Hasura provides data APIs that are able to connect to multiple services and data sources, embed domain-specific authorization logic, and provide the necessary security and performance/concurrency.
New innovations in Hasura include:
- REST API Connector: Hasura now eliminates the need for users to write custom code to connect existing REST endpoints into their unified GraphQL API, providing a developer-friendly API transformation system. Building on previous capabilities, Hasura now lets developers bring existing rest APIs into Hasura as data sources, providing access to data via the GraphQL API without writing any code.
- Hasura Data Hub: This new repository of Hasura-defined and community-contributed API integrations leverages the new REST Connector capabilities, enabling users to easily connect APIs from leading developer platforms, currently including Contentful, Elastic, Fauna, and IBM Open API, to their GraphQL APIs
- Identity-specific Authorization for ALL GraphQL Services: Hasura now gives users a quick and easy way to create identity-specific authorization policies for any GraphQL service or data source, enforcing security by limiting the models and fields of the GraphQL APIs, the services that identity can join and protection against abuse based on query depth and cost. This ensures security and eliminates DIY approaches that require users to cobble together disparate libraries and frameworks to achieve similar outcomes.
- Google Cloud Support (public beta): New capabilities in Hasura Cloud enable customers to choose their own regions and connect to their existing data sources on Google Cloud, and also eliminate network egress costs between Google and Hasura Cloud.
"The new innovations announced today further enhance Hasura’s ability to make data access self-serve for teams and organizations of all sizes, regardless of where the data resides, reducing development time and accelerating software delivery to users. It eliminates data silos and provides much-needed security, lowering the bar to universal GraphQL API use and modernizing the developer experience for applications of all types," said Tanmai Gopal, CEO of Hasura.
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more