Build a Firefox app and sell it anywhere
|Richard Harris in HTML5 Thursday, February 28, 2013|
The Firefox Marketplace for Firefox OS may look similar to the iOS Apple Store or Google Android Play Store but there is something different lying under the hood for developers. It does not lock you into Mozilla or into using a Firefox OS phone for apps you create.
The Firefox market enables developers to sell a web app that will run on any open web device by way of the receipt protocol. Non-Mozilla marketplaces can participate in selling apps on Firefox OS out of the box by implementing the receipt format and users won’t notice anything different when running a paid app from either store.
When other devices start to support the receipt protocol then theoretically you could pay for an app once and run it everywhere. There is, of course, a chicken vs. egg problem here so Mozilla hopes to be the egg that helps prove out the decentralized receipt concept and iterate on the protocol. Mozilla invites other vendors to help us work on getting receipts right so that paid apps are as portable and “webby” as possible.
Read more: https://hacks.mozilla.org/2013/02/building-a-paid-...
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more