App naming best practices
|Grant Polachek in iOS Friday, January 26, 2018|
App name best practices and tips that can help your brand rise in the app store rankings, and get noticed by more users.
Here are a few recommended dos and don'ts when naming your app, from what we at Squadhelp have learned while helping over 12,000 companies name their businesses.
- Grab a team of people to help you brainstorm names. Family, friends, colleagues, and especially - potential app users.
- Write a brief that has the core positioning, target audience, general mission and objectives, plus key criteria for the name.
- Keep it short. While some experts recommend choosing a 1 word, 2 syllables and only 6 character name, don't be that rigid. You decided how short is short. Not a whole sentence is what we mean. Short and snappy. Easy to say.
- Don't forget you (most likely) need an URL (website) too for your app. When researching top app names use a web engine to see if your name is available as a .com. Or determine if a .co, .io, or some other ending would work for your URL.
- When choosing an app name, keep it simple, easy to spell and pronounce, as well easy to remember. Repeating letters or sounds work great when naming an app and it will make your title unforgettable. Rhyming also works well in some situations.
- Be relevant when choosing a name for your app. If you have a social or gaming app, you can be a little freer when coming up with a good name; however, when your app is for business, the name should be relevant to its use and functionality. Creativity is critical - remember that your app name needs to give users an idea of what it is for and what it can do.
- Never include special characters in your app name. Adding any character that isn’t a number or letter will have a negative result when it comes to SEO results.
- Avoid names that are similar to popular apps already in the market. Not only to avoid getting flagged for copyright infringement, but because you want a unique name that stands for the differences your app will provide.
- Being abstract is an option that may help you get a.com URL. And you never know, maybe your abstract word will become renowned, think Zumba, Google, Twitter, kleenex, etc.
- Don’t give up. It may take more than 1 session to find the perfect name with an available URL. With creative projects one never knows, the answer could happen right away - or it may take a few days or weeks to find the perfect moniker.
- We recommend audience testing your name with potential users beyond the ideation group to assure your potential users would pick it above other options.
- Don't fall in love with a name until it clears with your trademark attorney's approval. We recommend getting a trademark report on your top 2-3 picks. Then file for a trademark after you have listened to your attorney’s recommendations.
Hoping these do's and don’ts encourage you to go out and find an amazing name for your new app. After all the time devoted to development, deciding on a name will be child’s play. Or at any rate, at the very least it will be fun. Enjoy the process.
Mobile App Name Generators
This guide titled, "100 Questions and Answers to help you land your Dream iOS Job" can help you through some further questions related to landing a job related to iOS. With 100 Questions and Answers categorized by seniority and with reviews from some of the top iOS engineers worldwide, this book will level up how you make interviews for your favorite platform.
Love Is Like Pi Never Ending T-Shirt Math Pi day Gift Shirt. Perfect Shirt to celebrate Pi Day 2019. Great gift whether you just love Math or you are a Math Student, Teacher or similar.
Are you paying more taxes than you have to as a developer or freelancer? The IRS is certainly not going to tell you about a deduction you failed to take, and your accountant is not likely to take the time to ask you about every deduction you’re entitled to. As former IRS Commissioner Mark Everson admitted, “If you don’t claim it, you don’t get it.
Get hands-on experience in performing simple to complex mobile forensics techniques Retrieve and analyze data stored not only on mobile devices but also through the cloud and other connected mediums A practical guide to leveraging the power of mobile forensics on popular mobile platforms with lots of tips, tricks, and caveats.
The Chirp GPS app is a top-ranked location sharing app available for Apple and Android that is super easy to use, and most of all, it's reliable.
Write and run code every step of the way, using Android Studio to create apps that integrate with other apps, download and display pictures from the web, play sounds, and more. Each chapter and app has been designed and tested to provide the knowledge and experience you need to get started in Android development.
This content is made possible by a guest author, or sponsor; it is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of App Developer Magazine's editorial staff.