StorONE launches backup storage
|Brittany Hainzinger in Security Friday, November 19, 2021|
StorOne launches backup storage called S1:Backup. It is compatible with Veeam, HYCU, and many others. S1:Backup solves the backup capacity scaling challenges, which provides migration-free upgrades, fast RAID rebuilds, unique bit-error-rot protection, and the ability to mix new drive densities.
The latest ransomware variants perform what is known as sleeper attacks, which avoid discovery by slowly infecting data. By the time an organization realizes it is dealing with a ransomware attack, a high percentage of data is encrypted. Modern backup storage needs to not only provide immutability of backup data it must do so, without impacting performance for potentially months.
StorONE launches backup storage
StorONE's new S1:Backup works with Veeam, Rubrik, HYCU, Commvault, and others to ensure backup data is immutable to ransomware attacks and extends the value to backup infrastructures while lowering the total cost of backup data retention.
Safest, Most Cost-Effective Long-Term Data Retention
Modern backup software supports decade-plus data retention, but modern backup storage can't scale to meet this capability. The lack of scale forces customers to add yet another storage silo, an archive.
S1:Backup delivers built-to-last backup storage supporting the highest-density hard disk drives (HDD) without compromising availability. It can scale to 15+PBs in a single cluster for long-term data retention while delivering high-performance backup and recovery.
S1:Backup provides genuine support of high-density HDD:
• Fastest RAID rebuilds, recovering from 18TB drive failure in two hours (competing solutions take days)
• Unique bit-error-rot protection, critical for long-term retention
• Ultimate flexibility, mix new drive densities without creating new volumes or reconfiguring backup jobs
"Backup data is typically 10X or more the capacity of production and as retention requirements increase it will continue to grow at a much faster pace than primary storage. StorONE's technology solves current and future backup capacity scaling challenges without the need for migrations. Our unique technology enables mixing different drive densities within the same volume to 15+ PBs. The result is simple, migration-free upgrades," said Gal Naor, StorONE's CEO.
Most Flexible Ransomware Resiliency
If they offer it, legacy solutions force customers to use S3 for immutability. S1:Backup is the industry’s only solution that delivers immutability across all its protocols, including NFS, SMB, S3, iSCSI, Fibre Channel, and NVMe-oF. S1:Backup delivers 100% ransomware resiliency:
• Captures every backup job into an immutable state
• Retains immutable copies indefinitely without impacting performance
• If attacked by malware, rollback to a 30-second old immutable copy
Lowest Possible Recovery Point Objectives
Capabilities like block-level incremental (change block tracking) backups enable customers to reduce their exposure to a ransomware attack or other failure. However, a high frequency of backup jobs puts too much strain on the hard drive only backup storage technology, and All-Flash backup storage is too expensive for the use case.
S1:Backup solves the problem by auto-tiering between a generous flash tier and up to a 15PB hard-disk tier to deliver:
• Supports hundreds of simultaneous backup jobs per hour for low RPO
• The lowest possible backup costs thanks to maximum performance from a small number of flash drives and 90% utilization of high-density hard disk drives
Elevates Instant-Recovery to Instant-Production
Modern backup-server software's instant or live recovery features provide a dramatic reduction in recovery times. The problem is that the overhead of legacy backup-storage software makes the performance of that instantly recovered VM or application unusable and risky.
S1:Backup is the first backup storage solution that has the flexibility to be standby-production storage. IT can now take the time required to investigate the ransomware attack, software bug, or hardware failure that instigated recovery without impacting users or applications.
S1:Backup is the first to deliver a production-class experience:
• Highly-Available backup cluster
• Supports FC, iSCSI, NVMe-oF, NFS, SMB and S3 protocols
• Enterprise-class performance and features
• At backup storage prices!
S1:Backup is the first backup storage solution designed to complement modern backup storage software, delivering complete ransomware protection and recovery while extending the value of the backup storage investment and dramatically lowering the upfront and long-term costs of storage.
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more