Sierra Wireless and L&T Technology Services to Offer Linux Based Internet of Things (IoT) Platform
|Stuart Parkerson in IoT Wednesday, May 6, 2015|
Sierra Wireless and L&T Technology are teaming up to establish a Legato Lab, designed to support the development of IoT applications with the Sierra Wireless’ Legato embedded application platform. The two companies will jointly market their respective products and services to customers in the automotive, transportation, and industrial markets.
The Legato platform is an open-source embedded platform built on Linux and designed to simplify the development and scalability of IoT applications. It integrates a commercial-grade Linux distribution and a set of IoT capabilities based on the latest open-source technologies, with an application framework and tools.
Offering an application framework designed with security and connectivity in mind the Legato platform features:
- Application Sandbox: Secure environment to run and control multiple applications
- Connectivity APIs: Access cloud and network services such as voice calls, SMS, data, radio controls
- Customizable middleware components: Select building blocks such as configuration, DB, resource arbitration, secure IPC
- Multi-language support: Utilize embedded applications in different programming languages
- C-based runtime library: Fast, efficient system designed to maximize processing power and user application space
Legato is customizable with built-in M2M features which include:
- Free open source packages: Validated by the Linux Foundation that include BusyBox, OpenSSL, DHCP, PPP, and OpenSSH
- Long-term supported Linux kernel (LTSI): Hosted by the Linux Foundation and maintained by the embedded systems industry
- Board support package (BSP): Enables hardware interfaces and power management, validated on AirPrime WP and AR smart modules
The platform offers flexibility to simplify application-level development through:
- Eclipse-based integrated development environment (IDE): Extensible and familiar toolset with built-in API awareness
- Command Line: Automate builds and integrate into any tool chain
- Robust diagnostic tools: Local and remote debugging, troubleshooting, monitoring, and profiling
- Yocto build tools: Rebuild and tailor the Linux distribution for any project
Read more: http://www.sierrawireless.com/productsandservices/...