One in Five Smartphones Sold in Q2 2014 Running Forked Android OS
|Stuart Parkerson in Android Thursday, August 21, 2014|
A recent ABI Research reports shows that forked Android (or AOSP) smartphones now represent 20% of the smartphone market. Certified (or OHA) Android still leads the market with 65% share and Android AOSP/OHA combined shipped 278 million smartphones, an 86% total share, in 2Q 2014.
ABI Research says that AOSP’s growth is being driven by the development of Chinese and Indian handset manufacturers, not only in their domestic markets, but increasingly throughout Asia and beyond.
The company reports that Chinese and Indian vendors accounted for the majority of smartphone shipments for the first time with 51% share. While many of these manufacturers are low cost, some are making inroads in the mid-tier, including Xiaomi and Gionee, offering a growing challenge to Samsung in particular.
These findings are part of ABI Research’s Smartphones and Handsets Market Research, which includes Research Analyses, Market Data, Insights, and Competitive Assessments.
Read more: https://www.abiresearch.com/press/2q-2014-smartpho...
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more