New Windows 10 (UWP) Package Submissions Provide Advanced App Usage Info
Wednesday, October 28, 2015
The Windows Development Team has released a new feature that provides app usage information to developers in the Windows Dev Center. This feature is included in all new Windows 10 (UWP) package submissions and provides increased reach into app analytics.
Developers can view a number of app usage statistics including user sessions, active users, session length, page views, and custom events created specifically for an app (for example how many times users reach a certain level in the game).
App developers are only provided aggregated statistics and not any information about individual users or devices. How to enable application usage:
- Build a UWP package in Visual Studio 2015.
- Select “Show telemetry in the Windows Dev Center” checkbox (which adds the Visual Studio Application Insights SDK to a project).
- All Windows 10 app submissions will include the telemetry SDK. For those who don’t want to use this feature, uncheck this box to disable app usage information.
- Developers who have an Azure subscription can select “Enable richer analytics with Application Insights” to see the data and do deeper analysis in the Azure portal.
- Submit the packages to the Store. Data will show up after users download the updated package and start using the app.
- View the report in the “Analytics/Usage” page in Dev Center.
Read more: https://dev.windows.com/en-us
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more