New VS plugin from Checkmarx lets DevOps teams to rapidly embed security
|Christian Hargrave in DevOps Wednesday, November 16, 2016|
Checkmarx just announced a new Checkmarx plugin for the Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services platform. The new Checkmarx (CxSAST) Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services Plugin allows organizations with agile development practices to embed security into their software development lifecycle (SDLC) without the delays traditionally caused by application security testing.
Software development is now occurring at unprecedented speeds. According to Puppet’s State of DevOps survey, high-performing IT organizations deploy 200 times more frequently than low performers. As organizations increasingly turn to DevOps, Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Delivery (CD) to help automate and increase deployment speed, it’s crucial for security to keep pace. Creating a Rugged DevOps team that can seamlessly bring security into the DevOps process isn't always easy, as many security solutions and developer practices don’t perfectly align.
The Checkmarx plug-in for Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services integrates seamlessly into Visual Studio team’s SDLC, enabling early detection and remediation of crucial security flaws. This allows teams to efficiently fix flaws as part of the CI toolchain, without imposing delays on the DevOps or CI/CD deployment cycle. Other benefits of using the Checkmarx Static Source Code Analysis include:
- Faster feedback loop - Checkmarx’s unique incremental scan capability means only new or modified code (that hasn't been scanned before) along with the related dependencies will be scanned. This means scan time is reduced from hours to minutes, perfect for organizations using CI/CD.
- Set your risk threshold and automate - Checkmarx allows users to easily set an organization’s security thresholds to an acceptable risk level. Users can then decide if they want to break builds based on whether scans met the thresholds or not.
- Saves precious remediation time: Checkmarx doesn’t leave a long list of vulnerabilities to remediate, but actually goes a step further and uses algorithms to correlate the different findings and identify the best fix locations which can eliminate multiple vulnerabilities with a single fix. This unique capability optimizes the remediation process and cuts down developer hours dedicated to remediation by up to 80 percent.
- Seamless integration: The Checkmarx plugin for Visual Studio Team Services platform is simple to install and configure. Visual Studio users can simply install CxSAST from the Visual Studio marketplace.
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more