Migrating old Windows 2008 apps over to Docker just got easier
|Richard Harris in Enterprise Tuesday, November 13, 2018|
Docker has announced updates to it's platform, now in version 2.1, that include converting legacy Windows server 2008 applications into containers with greater ease.
Docker has announced the Windows Server Application Migration Program that lets customers quickly and easily migrate and modernize legacy Windows applications, while driving continuous innovation across any application.
With a large percentage of Windows Server applications still running on Windows Server 2003 or 2008, companies that postpone migrating legacy applications and systems are vulnerable to security risks and a higher cost of maintenance. Traditional methods such as upgrading the underlying operating system or migrating applications on to new systems or the cloud, require significant resources and only serves to add to the existing technical debt. Docker's new program helps organizations seamlessly migrate legacy applications with the only container platform capable of containerizing Windows Server applications. Additionally, enterprise customers can take advantage of services and tools that leverage Docker's experience in application migrations to quickly discover, containerize and migrate Windows Server applications with immediate cost savings.
"The majority of our legacy product portfolio at Mitchell runs on Windows Server. We sought a solution that would allow us to containerize all of our applications so we could reap the benefits of DevOps, increase portability and align operational modalities across the board," said Marius Domean, Director R&D, Mitchell International. "Only Docker Enterprise was able to provide us with a robust, enterprise-grade solution that enables us to transform our legacy application stacks while reducing operational costs, minimizing our footprint of thousands of virtual machines and allowing us to adopt a hybrid cloud hosting architecture."
Docker Enterprise 2.1: The Only Platform for Containerizing Windows Server Applications
Docker Enterprise provides companies the choice, agility and security needed to build and manage their entire application portfolio, while reducing overall costs by more than 50 percent. The latest release, Docker Enterprise 2.1, enables organizations to easily migrate and modernize legacy Windows Server applications while driving continuous innovation across any application, anywhere.
New features of Docker Enterprise 2.1 include:
- Improved performance and compatibility for Windows Server Applications: updated support for Windows Server 2016, 1709, 1803 and 20191 in addition to smaller image sizes, improved compatibility and expanded networking options.
- Greater insights and availability with out-of-the-box dashboards: new dashboards and management console including health status visibility and deeper service and platform benefits.
- Enhanced security and compliance: support for industry standard security and authentication including SAML 2.0 authentication and the cryptographic modules in Docker Engine - Enterprise have been validated against FIPS 140-2 standards for both Windows and Linux.
The Docker program also now includes a new service offering based on the experience of proven methodologies from Docker's Modernize Traditional Application (MTA) program and from working with enterprises like Mitchell International on migrating applications using Docker Enterprise. As part of the services engagement, customers will be able to accelerate discovery and conversion using Docker Application Converter, a tool that automatically scans systems for target applications and speeds up the conversion process by automatically creating Docker artifacts.
Additionally, customers will have access to Docker Certified Infrastructure which automates implementation and configuration best practices for integrating containers into enterprise IT infrastructure like VMware vSphere, Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services. When combined with Docker's expertise, organizations will have a "blueprint" for future migration projects and new application development.
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more