Best month for unicorn businesses in America
Monday, November 1, 2021
May is the best month for unicorn businesses in America, where 47 startups were established as unicorns, and produced a combined financial valuation of $105.04B. Money.co.uk's research found that July is the best month for unicorn businesses globally and September is the second most popular month.
Data from the past 11 years shows that the month of May has the most number of startups attaining the status of unicorn business in America at 47.
In contrast, November is the month which has seen the least number of startup businesses become unicorns in America at 20.
In America, the five industries which produced the most unicorn businesses were: internet software and services (107), fintech (85), health (41), artificial intelligence (33), and other (26).
From January 2010 to September 2021, 847 startups across the world achieved unicorn status.
To be considered a unicorn startup, a privately owned business needs to reach an investor valuation of $1 billion or more. According to new research from the personal finance experts at money.co.uk, there are 847 unicorn businesses in the world as of September 2021.
Interested in unicorn enterprises, money.co.uk analyzed data from CB Insights between January 2010 to September 2021 to establish which month is the most common for startup businesses to gain unicorn status.
The world’s best month for unicorn businesses
|Month||Number of startup businesses established as 'unicorn'||Combined financial valuation of ($USD)|
Money.co.uk found that July is the most popular month for startups to become a unicorn, with 96 businesses achieving this status in the month of July between 2010 to 2021. The accumulative valuation of these businesses is an astonishing $292.22 billion.
The month coming into second place is September, as 90 startup businesses gained unicorn status from 2010 to 2021, with a collective valuation of $227.13 billion.
In joint third position are April and June, with both months seeing 88 startup businesses from 2010 to 2021 enjoying the newfound reputation of a unicorn. The combined valuation of the 88 businesses in April is $360.08 billion, whilst the combined valuation of June’s businesses is $208.51 billion.
Contrastingly, data from the last 11 years notes February as the month which has seen the least number of startup businesses attain unicorn status at 43.
Overall, from January 2010 to September 2021, 847 startups have received the prestige of becoming a unicorn business and the total collective valuation of the 847 unicorn businesses is a colossal $2,747.05 trillion.
From the 847 startup businesses gaining unicorn status from January 2010 to September 2021, the five countries which produced the most were:
1) United States - 424
2) China - 165
3) India - 41
4) United Kingdom - 33
5) Germany - 19
Additionally, the five industries which produced the most were:
1) Fintech - 167
2) Internet software and services - 144
3) E-commerce and direct-to-consumer - 88
4) Artificial intelligence (AI) - 71
5) Health - 57
The best month for unicorn businesses in America
|Month||The number of startup businesses established as 'unicorn' in America||The combined financial valuation of startup businesses established as 'unicorn' ($USD) in America|
Money.co.uk found that May is the most popular month for startups to become unicorns in America, with 47 businesses achieving this status in the month of May between 2010 to 2021. The accumulative valuation of these businesses is an astonishing $105.04 billion.
Comparatively, data from the last 11 years notes November as the month which has seen the least number of startup businesses attain unicorn status in America at 20.
In America, the five industries which produced the most unicorn businesses were: internet software and services (107), fintech (85), health (41), artificial intelligence (33), and others (26).
Salman Haqqi, the personal finance expert at money.co.uk, offered guidance on what to consider when seeking a business loan to grow your business:
Making a concise business plan is important. It should establish how the business is going to realistically achieve desired milestones in the short and long-run, and how every penny of the bank loan will be spent throughout the different phases of expected growth.
Be aware of loan covenants
Some banks will insist on a range of non-negotiable terms before providing you with a business loan. This could include the inability to take on additional loans, the inability to sell specific assets, and the inability to pay cash dividends over a certain period. Be aware of any loan conditions before agreeing to a business loan.
Seek expert advice
The business loans market (like many others) is very turbulent at the moment due to the economic uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. If you are struggling to navigate through it, consider consulting a qualified expert to help you through the loan application and analysis process.
1) Money.co.uk wanted to discover which month is the most common for unicorn businesses to reach the status of being valued at $1 billion or more (and therefore gaining ‘unicorn’ status).
2) To do so, money.co.uk analyzed the latest data from CB Insights who provide a complete comprehensive list of unicorn companies.
3) For the research, money.co.uk focused on the time frame January 2010 to September 2021.
4) For each respective year from 2010 to 2021, money.co.uk tallied how many businesses reached the status of ‘unicorn’ per month.
5) Money.co.uk then grouped the tallied results into the overall month category (i.e. Jan to Dec) to definitively establish which month has seen the most businesses attaining that status of unicorn over the last 11 years.
6) Alongside the overall months, money.co.uk also established the combined financial valuations of the unicorn businesses in each month from January 2010 to September 2021.
7) Additional analysis found the total businesses that had been credited unicorn status from January 2010 to September 2021, a breakdown of the countries in which the businesses are most commonly given the unicorn title, and a breakdown of the industries in which the unicorn businesses are most prevalent.
8) Data was collated on Thursday 14th October 2021 and is subject to change.
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more