Akana's New API Platform Offers MultiDatacenter Geographic Distribution
|Richard Harris in Enterprise Wednesday, September 16, 2015|
Akana has introduced a new API Platform that offers multi-datacenter geographic distribution and scale addressing the distribution and scaling requirements of large enterprises, avoiding the pitfalls faced by standalone API gateway instances.
Akana’s platform shares configuration and operational data for auditing data, SLA processing, and quota management. This real-time sharing eliminates security vulnerabilities by not sharing cryptographic nonce values across clusters and regions and thus exposing their users to replay attacks.
Akana’s API Platform allows customers to create a global API network with a single logical platform deployed across multiple geographically distributed datacenters. Features of the platform include:
- Logically centralized, distributed configuration stores: All product instances behave identically across the distributed system.
- OAuth Token Distribution: Tokens issued by one server are available everywhere supporting customer mobility and load-balancing and failover between data centers.
- Distributed SLA and quota processing: Manage consumption and capacity for globally distributed APIs and Apps.
- Global analytics: Analytics processing is driven across all storage instances to provide accurate analysis of all interactions regardless of source or target location.
- Seamless failover: If one server or even an entire datacenter goes offline there will be zero downtime failover with no loss of fidelity
Akana’s API platform leverages NoSQL (MongoDB), In-Memory Data Grid (Hazelcast), the latest search technologies (ElasticSearch) and a resilient microservices architecture to provide a unified platform across multiple data centers. These technologies include:
- No SQL storage: Mongo DB to support distributed storage of massive amounts of collected data with eventual consistency between data centers.
- In-memory data grid: Hazelcast to provide real-time sharing of critical data between instances both within and between data centers.
- Advanced Search: Elasticsearch for high-performance indexing and searching of all API metadata, documentation, forums, tickets, etc.
- Microservices: The platform consists of a set of independently deployable and scalable microservices to enable rapid scaling and fault-tolerance.
The new platform will be available in early Q4 both as on-premise software, and via the Akana Cloud that will deploy the platform in parallel with the public GA release of the software.
Read more: https://www.akana.com/
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more