A Review of the Most Popular Programming Languages on Github Since 2012
|Richard Harris in Programming Wednesday, April 29, 2015|
What are the most popular programming languages today? With the blazing popularity of Github for code hosting, one could expect that the platform would be a good indicator of the universal popularity of various programming languages.
Loggly used the following factors for the analysis:
- The number of active repositories as a proxy for the projects that people are working on right now.
- The total number of pushes per language as well as the average number of pushes per repository. These metrics were chosen as indicators of the rate of innovation occurring with projects being written in a particular language.
- New forks and open issues per repository, which also show active use and innovation.
- New watchers per repository, an indicator of developer interest.
Loggly took the information and placed it in an infographic that provides monthly trends starting in the second quarter of 2012. It’s interesting to see how each language performed on the various categories studied. You can check out the full infographic at the on the Loggly website at the link provided here.
Read more: https://www.loggly.com/blog/the-most-popular-progr...
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more