Is The Apple App Store Only Showing Top 200 Apps by Category Now
|Richard Harris in iOS Thursday, December 5, 2013|
Over the last 24 hours we've had some reports come in that Apple is now only displaying the Top 200 results when sorting by category in the app store. Normally filtering by category would display 300 results, but something has changed though we do not have an official notice from Apple as of yet.
We tested several categories on different devices and only see the Top 200 results. While this might not be a permanent change (we sure hope not), if so then iOS developers will be even further buried in the app store results. It's well known that if you get into the top 300 your chances of getting into the top 100 or above are much greater "organically". Dropping 100 off the list might seem logical from a UX experience (users not having to scroll as much) but we think it's a bit of a poke in the eye to developers.
We will further monitor this for changes but it would be interesting to see if anyone else is experiencing this same results.
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more