Sierra Wireless Introduces Linux Powered IoT Platform
|Richard Harris in IoT Wednesday, June 24, 2015|
Sierra Wireless has introduced its next-generation of AirPrime WP Series of smart wireless modules for the development of connected products and applications for the Internet of Things. The WP Series provides an integrated device-to-cloud architecture enabling IoT developers to build a Linux-based product using a single module that sends valuable user and product data to the cloud.
“With the introduction of the new AirPrime WP Series modules, we have launched a powerfully integrated device-to-cloud architecture to make it easier for our customers to innovate,” said Dan Schieler, Senior Vice President, Embedded Solutions for Sierra Wireless. “With an application processor running the open source Legato platform, along with the AirVantage cloud for device and application management, and a new open hardware reference design, the latest WP Series modules enable developers to quickly build connected products using a single module to run all their applications.”
The elements of the new portfolio include:
- AirPrime WP Series offering an application processor, GNSS receiver, and cellular modem with an optional ultra-low power mode that reduces power consumption by 200x opening up new use-case possibilities for cellular connectivity.
- Legato Linux-based platform integrated directly into the application processor of the WP modules providing an open-source application framework and professionally maintained Linux distribution.
- Project mangOH open hardware reference design for the WP modules offering wireless, sensor, and cloud connectivity out-of-the-box to rapidly build prototypes.
- AirVantage cloud and connectivity services providing device, application, and connectivity management as well as an IoT data platform securely integrated into the WP.
The WP Series is interchangeable and completely footprint-compatible with the AirPrime HL Series, and is available in 3G and 4G LTE variants with 2G fallback on certain modules. Like the HL Series, the new WP Series modules can be soldered down or used with a socket, for flexibility in manufacturing and inventory management.
The form factor, called CF3 (common flexible form factor), will be supported by Sierra Wireless through multiple generations of both WP and HL Series product lines, providing a migration path for customers through multi-year deployments.
The next-generation AirPrime WP Series offers ultra-low power mode for applications that need to prioritize power management over constant connectivity. This deep-sleep mode is ideal for industrial solar- or battery-powered applications where constant connectivity is not required, opening up new use-cases for cellular connectivity where it was previously impractical.
For OEMs and developers, the integration of processors and device software with wireless functionality can be complex and time-consuming, even more so when modifications are required for each region and each generation of the product. If location-based services are required, a global navigation satellite system (GNSS) receiver must be integrated as well. Furthermore, the data from the wireless connection, the connected asset, and its location must be aggregated and delivered to enterprise applications.
The next-generation AirPrime WP Series is designed to address all of these issues. It offers an integrated processor and a GNSS receiver, reducing the number of components, integration time, and cost for developers.
The Linux-based Legato platform running on the module’s processor provides the modem services needed to get the module communicating on a cellular network, plus an application framework and secured processing space to run third-party applications. Through Legato, AirPrime WP modules are pre-integrated with the AirVantage cloud for simple, secure configuration and management of the device and its data once deployed.
Read more: http://hub.sierrawireless.com/wp_launch
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more