Here's why AR is not ready for industrial use
|Christian Hargrave in Augmented Reality Monday, November 19, 2018|
A new study unveils insights into the maturity level of augmented reality software and headsets for industrial use which concluded that AR just isn't ready.
Retriever Communications announced the results of a study it commissioned with the University of Technology, Sydney (UTS) sharing deeper insight into the design of industrial-grade augmented reality (AR) software and hardware.
The goal of the study was to identify heuristics that will aid designers and developers in the creation of hands-free technologies for field services in the industrial space. The joint study revealed that AR hardware is not ready to be implemented widely into industrial workspaces due to the following deficiencies:
- Headsets cannot be worn in the field for long periods of time
- Headset battery life is limited
- Difficult to use outdoors due to the glare created on the screen from the sun
As AR technology continues to evolve, there is a strong potential in the use of augmented reality to make field technicians more effective in their work and supported in their capabilities. While the following guidelines, developed on the basis of the study, enable developers to build applications that have higher adoption rates, the study also revealed that further work is necessary to ensure effective use in practice.
The key results of this study are the seven design heuristics:
- Design for hands-free use so that field workers are able to access data while using their hands for manual work and communication
- Allow workers to use their preferred device (mobile phone, tablet, headset or PC) when communicating with a (remote) augmented reality application user
- Ensure that augmented reality technology integrates with and complements existing practices
- Minimize information overload to prevent interference with situational awareness
- Design for comfort when an application is intended for continued use
- Provide technicians with convenient and accurate ways to provide input
- Data entry should be structured so that it is gathered in a way that makes sense to end users rather than be based purely on back-end database structures
“Retriever Communications is excited to partner with UTS to take a deeper look at the current state of the use of augmented reality software and headsets in the industrial workspace,” said Mary Brittain-White. “As these technologies continue to be adopted, we realize they need to be thoroughly tested in order to ensure industrial field workers are properly supported. We’re confident that once more resources are implemented into fine-tuning these devices, AR headsets will not only make work easier, but it will be safer as well.”
This study was led by Associate Professor Andrew Johnston who notes “that the seven heuristics identified during the course of this study are meant to provide some high-level guidance for application developers. As the development process for augmented reality will continue to evolve, it’s vital that we focus on the real-world needs of end users to ensure software meets the needs of field workers.”
Love Is Like Pi Never Ending T-Shirt Math Pi day Gift Shirt. Perfect Shirt to celebrate Pi Day 2019. Great gift whether you just love Math or you are a Math Student, Teacher or similar.
Are you paying more taxes than you have to as a developer or freelancer? The IRS is certainly not going to tell you about a deduction you failed to take, and your accountant is not likely to take the time to ask you about every deduction you’re entitled to. As former IRS Commissioner Mark Everson admitted, “If you don’t claim it, you don’t get it.
Get hands-on experience in performing simple to complex mobile forensics techniques Retrieve and analyze data stored not only on mobile devices but also through the cloud and other connected mediums A practical guide to leveraging the power of mobile forensics on popular mobile platforms with lots of tips, tricks, and caveats.
The Chirp GPS app is a top-ranked location sharing app available for Apple and Android that is super easy to use, and most of all, it's reliable.
Write and run code every step of the way, using Android Studio to create apps that integrate with other apps, download and display pictures from the web, play sounds, and more. Each chapter and app has been designed and tested to provide the knowledge and experience you need to get started in Android development.