FTC to Discuss Emerging Consumer Privacy Issues in Spring 2014 Seminars
|Adam Grant in Mobile Guidelines Wednesday, December 4, 2013|
The FTC will hold its second event on March 19 and will examine how companies collect data about user online activity, use that data to score those users and then tailor their online experience according to the scores. “These scores are determining whether transactions trigger further scrutiny, the kind of special offers that companies make to certain individuals (and those they don’t), and even whether the customer should speak to a high-ranking customer service agent at a company,” the FTC wrote.
The third and final event has not been scheduled, but will examine health data that a consumer provides voluntarily and then controls. The associate director of the agency’s Division of Privacy and Identify Protection stated, “while the new technologies present important benefits to consumers, it’s also vital that we examine their privacy implications.”
Read more: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/reporter/mobile/
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more