Coronavirus spikes search data from CodeFuel
|Brittany Hainzinger in Big Data Thursday, March 12, 2020|
One way of observing the global wave of concern over the spread of Coronavirus is through search data. Search data from CodeFuel, a search technology company, has revealed dramatic spikes in Coronavirus searches in different countries.
With the world in panic mode over the spread of Coronavirus and shocking updates daily, the world population is riding a roller-coaster of emotions. One way of observing this global wave of concern is through search data.
Search data from CodeFuel, a leading search technology company, has revealed dramatic spikes in Coronavirus searches in different countries:
Over the last month, the US, Switzerland, France, Germany and the UK have shown the highest numbers of people searching for Coronavirus related queries, with staggering increases over the last two weeks, between Feb 23rd and March 9th including;
- 425% increase in the US
- 327% increase in the UK
- 321% increase in France
Searches in Switzerland increased an overwhelming 3,306% after South Korea reported its largest daily increase of patients on Feb 22nd
The three main peaks for searching corona in Italy were;
- March 1st, when 566 new cases were confirmed in Italy
- March 5th, when 769 new cases were confirmed in Italy
- March 8th, when 1,492 new cases were confirmed in Italy
Unexpected results came from Luxembourg, which saw an increase of 466% in Coronavirus searches just three days, between Feb 23rd and Feb 26th
The beginning of February, when cases began to become more prominent in Europe, saw New Zealand’s Coronavirus search rate increase 714%, and the Netherland’s 550%.
Austria’s searches soared 8,000% on Feb 23rd, the day that Italy was named the European country suffering from the greatest number of cases.
These astonishing figures display not only the rapid increase in concern for Coronavirus throughout the world but also the specific events which shook individual countries.
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more