Companies Reporting Widespread Use of APIs as Business Drivers
|Stuart Parkerson in API Monday, March 28, 2016|
In a recent CA Technologies study titled “APIs and the Digital Enterprise: From Operational Efficiency to Digital Disruption,” companies reported widespread use of APIs, but lack the full capacity for comprehensive API success. The global online survey of 1,442 senior IT and business executives was sponsored by CA Technologies and conducted by industry analyst firm Freeform.
The survey participants were asked if they had 10 API-enabling capabilities in place, which were grouped into four categories: Lifecycle Support, Core Security, Run-time Environment and Operational Management. The responses were assigned a numeric value, scored accordingly and broken into three groups based on how well they were prepared to support APIs – Advanced, Basic and Limited. The global responses were evenly split with 34 percent Advanced and 33 percent Basic and 33 percent Limited.
Respondents reported using APIs to build mobile and web applications (76 percent and 78 percent respectively), integrate back-office systems (79 percent), enable third-party developers and incorporate third-party services (74 percent each).
The report shows that the most important current and future drivers for using APIs where the customer experience (85 percent), faster delivery of new apps (84 percent) and extending digital reach (84 percent).
When it comes to API business drivers, the study showed 65 percent of Advanced API users have been able to deliver an improved customer experience versus only 25 percent of Limited users. Also, 61 percent of Advanced users have experienced faster delivery of revenue-enhancing apps versus 23 percent of Limited users. In terms of extending digital reach, 61 percent of Advanced users benefited where only 21 percent of Basic users perceived a benefit.
Companies with advanced API implementations (as compared to those with limited ones) are:
- 2.6 times more likely to have seen a faster delivery of revenue-enhancing apps
- 3 times more likely to be leveraging third-party innovation
- 2.6 times more likely to have improved delivery of the customer experience
- 2.3 times more likely to have lowered IT-related costs and risks
Read more: http://rewrite.ca.com/us/articles/application-econ...
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more