|Richard Harris in Mobile Guidelines Monday, February 4, 2013|
The US FTC has issued a non-binding set of guidelines (here) for mobile privacy. That means they aren't policing them "yet" but based on these recommendations you might want to start being more pro-active with your app privacy policies.
This report differs from some other recent recommendations in that is takes aim directly at mobile app stores (Apple, Amazon, Google, Blackberry), giving recommendations that involve making sure that consumers get timely, easy-to-understand disclosures about what data they collect and how the data is used. By targeting the stores they can inadvertently enforce their rules because the last thing any of them want is to dance on the edge of non-accepatance in the US markets.
UUID or Device ID
There are many others but those are the most common - some are more geared towards Android because the platform is more open.
- Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
- We will collect and use of personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
- We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
- Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
- We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
- We may or may not use any of the following for advertising purposes or app usage purposes only, UUID or Device ID, GPS location, IP Address, Browser Type, OS Version, Screen Size, MAC Address, Contacts, Facebook Friends, and Phone Number.
We are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.
Read more: http://www.zdnet.com/ftc-issues-mobile-privacy-pol...
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more