Google Updates Developer For Tablet Optimized Apps
|Richard Harris in Android Wednesday, April 17, 2013|
Tablets are the biggest springboard for developers to create something really grand. After all with sales still growing it's a no-brainer to develop for the larger screen devices and capture the tablet audience. Google has chimed in to remind Android developers of what is expected by them before publishing into their Play Store.
Google says; "Before you publish an app on Google Play, it's important to make sure that the app meets the basic expectations of tablet users through compelling features and an intuitive, well-designed UI."
The recommendations are rather lengthy but here is a summary of the 12 points they want to highlight.
- Test for basic tablet app quality
- Optimize your layouts for larger screens
- Take advantage of extra screen area available on tablets
- Use Icons and other assets that are designed for tablet screens
- Adjust font sizes and touch targets for tablet screens
- Adjust sizes of home screen widgets for tablet screens
- Offer the app's full feature set to tablet users
- Target Android versions properly
- Declare hardware feature dependencies properly
- Declare support for tablet screens
- Showcase your tablet UI in Google Play
- Follow best practices for publishing in Google Play
Read more: http://developer.android.com/distribute/googleplay...
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more