About the explosive growth of mobile video advertising
|Richard Harris in Monetize Tuesday, September 19, 2017|
Rewarded videos ad impressions implies that ad marketing companies quickly moving towards the video ad format in Smaato's latest report.
Publishers are doubling down on digital video - a trend characterized as the great “shift to video” - as consumers increasingly desire highly engaging and interactive content. Led by especially strong momentum in mobile, video has absorbed a much larger share of total ad budgets. According to Smaato, video was the fastest-growing ad format during Q2, with spending on video ads more than doubling (142 percent).
Smaato took a deeper dive into video and found that certain formats are growing more rapidly than others. While full-screen interstitials remain advertisers’ darlings today, accounting for almost two-thirds of total mobile video ad spending, rewarded video was the fastest-growing format. In Q2 2017, rewarded video ad impressions almost doubled (96 percent), ad spending increased 153 percent and eCPMs grew 48 percent.
Gaming apps in particular have quickly embraced rewarded video, as the positive user experience and high engagement rates keeps audiences hooked. According to the report, ad spending on rewarded video in gaming apps increased +242 percent from Q1 to Q2 2017. Rewarded video's growth in gaming apps also outpaced non-rewarded interstitial by +74% from Q1 2017 to Q2 2017, suggesting that advertisers and publishers recognize the future value of this engaging format.
“In a recent IAB survey, advertisers suggested they plan to spend more than half of their ad budgets on video this year. We are seeing this become a reality across Smaato’s platform, as mobile video is the fastest-growing segment of our business,” said Ragnar Kruse, CEO and co-founder of Smaato. “Based on what we are seeing, we expect mobile video to continue its high growth and become the dominant medium in the years ahead.”
- The Americas fueled global Q2 mobile ad spending growth. Brazil, Colombia, the US and Canada contributed to the Americas seeing the highest Q2 mobile advertising growth over the same quarter last year. However, APAC was the top performer in terms of eCPM growth, with average eCPMs more than doubling versus the same quarter last year.
- In-app mobile advertising surpassed global milestone. In-app ad spending achieved a record-high share of total mobile ad spending (94 percent) on the their platform this quarter. Advertisers’ shift to in-app drove eCPMs up 79 percent from Q2 2016 to Q2 2017, resulting in in-app ad spaces becoming 224 percent more valuable on average than those on mobile web.
- Android reigned supreme in mobile advertising spend in Q2, while iOS dominated eCPMs. Android owned 57 percent of total global mobile advertising spend in Q2 on the Smaato platform, reaching 75 percent of total unique mobile users worldwide. However, in a quarter marking the iPhone’s 10th anniversary, iOS users commanded 18 percent higher eCPMs than Android users, and generated almost twice as much revenue for publishers on a per-user basis.
- Gender data was one of the most important metrics for determining value of ad space. If an ad request contained gender data, the value of the ad space increased on average by 158 percent. While in the minority in terms of share of total mobile ad spend, female users were 25 percent more valuable to advertisers. In China, for example, advertisers paid 219 percent higher eCPMs to get in front of female users.
- China’s love affair with apps continues to create massive opportunities for mobile publishers and advertisers. As Chinese mobile users spend 99 percent of their time in apps, advertisers are closely following them. The share of in-app ad spending in China was a whopping 98 percent in Q2, five points above the global average. Meanwhile, in-app ads in China were three times more valuable than mobile web in China in Q2.
Are you paying more taxes than you have to as a developer or freelancer? The IRS is certainly not going to tell you about a deduction you failed to take, and your accountant is not likely to take the time to ask you about every deduction you’re entitled to. As former IRS Commissioner Mark Everson admitted, “If you don’t claim it, you don’t get it.
Get hands-on experience in performing simple to complex mobile forensics techniques Retrieve and analyze data stored not only on mobile devices but also through the cloud and other connected mediums A practical guide to leveraging the power of mobile forensics on popular mobile platforms with lots of tips, tricks, and caveats.
The Chirp GPS app is a top-ranked location sharing app available for Apple and Android that is super easy to use, and most of all, it's reliable.
Write and run code every step of the way, using Android Studio to create apps that integrate with other apps, download and display pictures from the web, play sounds, and more. Each chapter and app has been designed and tested to provide the knowledge and experience you need to get started in Android development.