Gitlab 12.0 released
|Christian Hargrave in Programming Friday, June 28, 2019|
GitLab has announced its 12.0 features that enable development, security and ops teams to collaborate in one simplified toolchain. 12.0 adds new incident management and feature flags that enable teams to identify and rapidly respond to application issues.
GitLab is releasing 12.0 to help enterprises transform and accelerate DevOps adoption by bringing developers, operations professionals, and the security team together in the first single application for the entire DevSecOps lifecycle. With the 12.0 release, GitLab is building upon security features recently released - such as security dashboards, auto remediation and security approvals - and adding additional features to enable collaboration across DevSecOps teams; including Visual Review, Project Dependency list, and Merge Trains. With customers such as Goldman Sachs, Ticketmaster, Ask Media Group and more, GitLab is helping enterprises release code quickly and stay competitive.
“From the evolution from source code management, to DevOps application to now the first to deliver DevSecOps in one application, GitLab has advanced as a company overall with now 700 employees in over 54 countries working with top enterprise companies around the world,” said Sid Sijbrandij, CEO of GitLab. “GitLab 12.0 marks a key step in our journey to create an inclusive approach to DevSecOps, empowering ‘everyone to contribute’ and helping companies utilize the power of a streamlined approach across teams, accelerating time to market.”
“We already have a frontend team, a SDK and native app team, a SRE team, and a services team all collaborating on development, security, and operations in GitLab,” said Cillian Dwyer, Site Reliability Engineer, Glympse. “Because we're together, we're able to collaborate and ship faster."
With GitLab 12.0 we are building upon features released throughout the year to help organizations digitally dissolve silos to foster collaboration and sharing across the delivery lifecycle. For IT security professionals we aim to make it easy to develop, deliver, and operate applications while minimizing exposure to security vulnerabilities. In addition to security scanning and secrets detection, we further our commitment to features such as:
- Security Dashboards - Provide visibility, insight, and remediation into the status of vulnerabilities across multiple projects.
- Auto Remediation - Automatically offer patches for detected vulnerabilities throughout the entire code delivery process.
- Security Approvals - Security teams need to be involved in Merge Request Approvals where significant security vulnerabilities are detected.
For IT Operations professionals, we’re shipping key capabilities to help them efficiently and effectively support their IT services. In addition to our Kubernetes-native integrations and multi-cloud deployment support:
- Incident Management - Enabling product delivery teams to detect and rapidly respond to application issues)
- Feature Flags - Minimizing risk, while fostering faster delivery, feature flags help delivery and operations teams manage the release of new capabilities,
- Operations Dashboard - Providing insight into multiple project pipelines and delivery status.
“I look forward to every release and seeing the new features that I worked with the GitLab community together on,” said George Tsiolis, UX Engineer. Core Team at GitLab.” The 12.0 release is an important one as it shows how much GitLab has grown in a year. I really enjoy contributing to GitLab as I have the opportunity to work with some of the most brilliant engineers and designers that I know. Back when I started contributing, I didn’t always feel confident about some contributions of mine but most of the times someone always jumped in and helped me get across the finish line. Last but not least, I find the code review process quite insightful no matter how big or small the contribution."
Read more: https://about.gitlab.com/update/
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more