The developer shortage is real and it's going to hit the cloud market real soon
Monday, November 07, 2016
Global research (across 8 geographies and with nearly 900 respondents) made something crystal clear - the developer shortage is real and it’s going to hit the cloud market really hard, really soon. And the drain is coming from a surprising place -Global 2000 businesses not traditionally known as IT companies.
A majority of companies (64 percent) see the gap and are beginning to feel its impact. The impact will only increase as these businesses move further along their journey to digital transformation. Worse still, a plurality (57 percent) say this shortage is already impacting their ability to hire the right people.
Cloud Foundry just completed a comprehensive global survey on why this is happening based on interviews with more than 800 IT executives.
Here are the main takeaways:
1. Yes, the shortage is real, driven NOT by IT companies, but by traditional (Global 2000) businesses need for developers.
- A majority (64%) of companies see the gap and are starting to feel its impact.
2. Discrete technologies are in the greatest demand.
- Companies are prioritizing specialized skills such as mobile application development, language-specific coding and deployment on specific IAAS, while fundamental skills -such as continuous delivery, continuous integration and test-driven development–are notably the least in demand.
3. Training is key
- Companies are looking to training to address these challenges, predominantly choosing to train existing employees over hiring new developers or outsourcing. Digital transformation is more than technology, it’s a profound cultural shift. That means investing in your own people with cloud skills training.
Low code development platform gets an update from Filemaker Wednesday, May 16, 2018
New partnership emerges to simply IoT security Wednesday, May 16, 2018
Open source HarperDB database solution studio launched Wednesday, May 16, 2018
New demo shows 5G and 3D structured light technology Tuesday, May 15, 2018
Multi-cloud app network platform update launched by MuleSoft Tuesday, May 15, 2018
Stay UpdatedSign up for our newsletter for the headlines delivered to you