Samsung Launches ARTIK IoT Platform and Alpha Developer Kit
Tuesday, May 26, 2015
Samsung has launched the new ARTIK platform for the development of new enterprise, industrial and consumer applications for the Internet of Things (IoT). ARTIK is an open platform that includes a family of integrated production-ready modules, software, development boards, drivers, tools, security features and cloud connectivity designed to help accelerate development of a new generation of IoT devices, solutions and services.
All parts of the Samsung ARTIK platform incorporate embedded hardware security technology, on-board memory and advanced processing power in an open platform. Security is also a key element of the software integrated into the platform, along with the ability to connect to the Internet for cloud-based data analytics and enhanced services. As an open platform, Samsung ARTIK can be customized for rapid deployment of IoT devices and the services that can be delivered using them.
The Samsung ARTIK platform comes in a variety of configurations to meet the specific requirements of a wide range of devices from wearables and home automation, to smart lighting and industrial applications. Initial offerings of the ARTIK platform include:
- ARTIK 1: The smallest IoT module currently available in the industry at 12mm-by-12mm, ARTIK 1 combines Bluetooth/BLE connectivity and a nine-axis sensor with best-in-class compute capabilities and power consumption. It is specifically designed for low-power, small form-factor IoT applications.
- ARTIK 5: Delivers a balance of size, power and price-performance and is ideal for home hubs, drones and high-end wearables. It incorporates a 1GHz dual-core processor and on-board DRAM and flash memory.
- ARTIK 10: Offers advanced capabilities and high-performance to IoT with an eight-core processor, full 1080p video decoding/encoding, 5.1 audio and 2GB DRAM along with 16GB flash memory. The Samsung ARTIK 10 includes Wi-Fi, Bluetooth/BLE and ZigBee connectivity and is designed for use with home servers, media applications, and in industrial settings.
Additional details and functionality include:
- Security and Privacy: The ARTIK platform offers an end-to-end security solution. At the hardware level, ARTIK contains an embedded secure element that goes beyond software-based encryption solutions alone. At the application level, ARTIK is equipped with a machine learning based anomaly detection system. This allows the user to identify abnormalities and unusual behavior in order to address possible hacking or intrusion activity.
- IoT Software Stack: Samsung’s ARTIK platform comes with an extensive IoT software stack and tools needed to accelerate product development. Developers can go directly to application framework development, instead of spending time building low-level software libraries.
- Local Storage and Computational Capability: ARTIK supports unique local storage and computational capabilities that in most current IoT environments are generally only addressable by large-scale cloud servers. Depending on user requirements, data can be managed locally or in the cloud in encrypted or unencrypted formats.
- Low-Power Architecture: The ARTIK platform offers best-in-class power consumption to enable longer battery life for battery operated IoT devices like wearables. The platform includes a tiered architecture that allows applications and tasks to run at the right power- optimized performance and memory utilization.
- Small Form Factor: All ARTIK modules offer the smallest form factor in their class. Certain ARTIK modules use Samsung’s next generation ePoP (embedded Package-on-Package) technology.
- Connectivity: Depending on the configuration, the ARTIK platform offers all major connectivity protocols including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth (including BLE) and ZigBee.
Samsung is currently launching an alpha program offering an alpha developer kit to a limited group of developers who will have access to hardware and technical support, and connect directly with the product team for assistance and feedback.
Read more: https://www.artik.io/
Xpress solution aims to help you create IoT apps faster Friday, September 21, 2018
30,000 blacklisted apps hosted on the Google Play Store report finds Friday, September 21, 2018
Alibaba Computing Conference 2018 yields partnership with MariaDB Friday, September 21, 2018
Tidelift surpasses $1M to pay open source software maintainers Friday, September 21, 2018
iOS 12 notification changes should make you rethink your messages Friday, September 21, 2018
Stay UpdatedSign up for our newsletter for the headlines delivered to you