Firefox Smartphone OS is Now Available in 24 Countries
Wednesday, October 15, 2014
Mozilla has announced that the Firefox OS is now available on three continents with 12 smartphones offered by 13 operators in 24 countries. Mozilla has been pushing its Firefox OS as an opportunity to use Web as a platform, outside the proprietary mobile operating systems.
Three new smartphones have been launched in India and one in Bangladesh over the last few weeks as part of the new ultra low-cost smartphone category.
Firefox OS is now available in Central America through Telefónica with launches in El Salvador, Panama, Nicaragua and Guatemala, and Deutsche Telekom launched the first Firefox OS devices in the Czech Republic and Macedonia.
Firefox OS in Asia
- ALCATEL ONETOUCH launched the Fire C in India, available on Flipkart.com.
Spice Retail Limited launched the Spice Fire One Mi – FX 1 in India. The phone is available on Snapdeal.com.
- Intex Technologies introduced the Cloud FX as the first Firefox OS smartphone in India, bringing a new device to the ultra-low cost category of smartphones. The Cloud FX is available on Snapdeal.com and also through Intex distribution channels.
- Zen Mobile will launch a Firefox OS phone in the ultra low cost category in India in October. This will bring the number of devices for sale in that country to four.
Telenor via Grameenphone expanded its reach of Firefox OS phones from Europe to Bangladesh with the latest version of Firefox OS in the new GoFox F15. This includes better imaging features such as pinch zoom, HDR and a self timer.
- KDDI recently confirmed it will release a Firefox OS phone in Japan this December. KDDI also announced the release of an app development platform consisting of the Open Web Board, an HDMI-based development stick based on Firefox OS; Gluin, an application development tool for programming the board and an idea portal for developers to share and discuss app ideas.
Expanding Through Latin America
- In the past few months, Telefónica has brought Firefox OS to El Salvador, Panama, Nicaragua and Guatemala with the launch of the ZTE Open II. Telefónica will also launch the Alcatel ONETOUCH Fire C device in Costa Rica before the end of the year, completing the Firefox OS footprint in Central America.
- Telefónica Uruguay added three new Firefox OS devices to its portfolio: the ZTE Open C, ZTE Open II and ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fire C. Telefónica customers in Colombia and Peru can now purchase both ZTE Open II and ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fire C devices.
- Telefónica will launch Firefox OS devices in Argentina for the first time before the end of the year, and with the addition of Ecuador in the coming months, Firefox OS will soon be present in all of Telefónica’s Latin American markets.
- América Móvil, which launched Firefox OS phones in Mexico earlier this year, is committed to continue expanding its offering in Latin America.
Firefox OS Presence in Europe
- Deutsche Telekom via congstar was first to start selling ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fire E devices in Germany.
- Telefónica’s O2 Germany now sells its first Firefox OS devices, the Alcatel ONETOUCH Fire E smartphones.
- Telefónica via Movistar now sells ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fire C devices in Spain.
- With the launch of the ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fire E, Deutsche Telekom brought Firefox OS smartphones to the Czech Republic for the first time.
- Deutsche Telekom via T-Mobile Poland now sells the ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fire E in Poland.
- Deutsche Telekom via COSMOTE now sells the ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fire E in Greece.
- Deutsche Telekom launched the ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fire C with Firefox OS in Macedonia for the first time.
Read more: https://blog.mozilla.org/press/2014/10/firefox-os-...
Digital therapy app proven to reduce chronic back pain by 40 percent Monday, September 24, 2018
Making apps by collaborating and sharing the profits Monday, September 24, 2018
Xpress solution aims to help you create IoT apps faster Friday, September 21, 2018
30,000 blacklisted apps hosted on the Google Play Store report finds Friday, September 21, 2018
Alibaba Computing Conference 2018 yields partnership with MariaDB Friday, September 21, 2018
Stay UpdatedSign up for our newsletter for the headlines delivered to you