Apple Hits the Road with CarPlay, App Developers Should Rejoice iPhone 4 Users, Not so Much
|Stuart Parkerson in iOS Monday, March 3, 2014|
Apple is finally flexing its muscle in the mobile auto segment as it announces the availability of CarPlay on a small but growing number of vehicles.
The platform allows the functionality of the iPhone which is even now sitting in your purse or pocket to transfer to the infotainment screen in your vehicle. What can we say? It makes sense having one device that has everything you need and you had to figure that it was coming to your car.
The great news for app developers is that you’re already dealing with Apple, so getting your app on the road will just be an extension of what you are already doing, so look for more news to come on that end.
The first manufacturers that are integrating CarPlay are Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Hyundai, and Volvo. And the other big auto companies will be climbing on board quickly.
And as more manufacturers climb aboard, Apple is going to see more iPhone sales. That’s because only the iPhone 5 and future iterations will work with CarPlay. Now that’s just good marketing right there!
Read more: http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/
Become a subscriber of App Developer Magazine for just $5.99 a month and take advantage of all these perks.
MEMBERS GET ACCESS TO
- - Exclusive content from leaders in the industry
- - Q&A articles from industry leaders
- - Tips and tricks from the most successful developers weekly
- - Monthly issues, including all 90+ back-issues since 2012
- - Event discounts and early-bird signups
- - Gain insight from top achievers in the app store
- - Learn what tools to use, what SDK's to use, and more